Many families, including at least one in New Milford, are facing the prospect of having their developmentally disabled adult child sent more than 90 miles away because of an ill-conceived legislative move that would close the nearby centers now caring for them.
During the past few weeks legislation was passed by the NJ Senate Health, Human Services and Senior Citizens Committee and by the NJ Assembly Human Services Committee Bill to stop the closure of the North Jersey Developmental Center in Totowa and the Woodbridge Developmental Center - the only two such facilities in northern New Jersey. Closure of these centers would leave the entire northern part of the state without facilities of this type for 700 severely disabled residents and put about 2000 people out of work. The residents of these two centers would be moved to the five other centers all in the southern part of the state. This would not only be traumatic for the residents but create undue hardship on their relatives.
The Mayor and Council of New Milford will be voting on a resolution of support at our next council meeting. You can send your own letter of support using the following information.
Please call or email Senate President Stephen M. Sweeney to support Senate bill S-2596 and call or email Assembly Speaker Sheila Y. Oliver and Assembly Majority Leader Louis D. Greenwald so support Assembly bill A-3951.
For Senate Bill S-2596
For Assembly Bill A-3951
Assembly Speaker Oliver
Assembly Majority Leader Greenwald
- CLICK IT OR TICKET - The NMPD is participating in the state's safety program, CLICK IT OR TICKET which runs from May 20 through June 2, 2013
- May 26 through June 1, 2013 is National Hurricane Preparedness Week. For information regarding what to do before, during and after a hurricane please click on the following link: http://www.ready.gov/hurricanes
- To find out more information about PSE&G's Energy Assistance programs available to NJ residents, including Senior program click the following link. http://www.pseg.com/home/customer_service/bill/help/index.jsp
DEP RESIDENTS TO RECYCLE TVS, COMPUTERS AND MONITORS AS REQUIRED BY ELECTRONIC WASTE MANAGEMENT ACT - Please see link below for additional information.
- LIHEAP or more information on the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) please click the following link www.energyassistance.nj.gov or call 1-800-510-3102.
- BCUA Homeowner's Guide - http://www.bcua.org/files/2011/I&I%20brochure%205-5-11.pdf
- Click the following link to opt in, opt out or change your information for the New Milford Reverse 9-1-1 calls: http://www.bcoem.org/ and click on the Swift911 link.
- Please Click on the following link for information on BCUA Hazardous Waste Collection Dates: http://www.bcua.org/files/News/hhw%202013%20flyer.for%20website.pdf